Mark Minasi's Reader Forum
Mark Minasi's Reader Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Minasi Forum RSS Feed
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Email, Databases, Sharepoint and more
 Windows SharePoint Services / Portal
 Central Administration Hangs After Clean Install
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

IvDogg
Welcome Newcomer

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2012 :  3:50:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit IvDogg's Homepage  Send IvDogg an AOL message  Send IvDogg an ICQ Message  Click to see IvDogg's MSN Messenger address  Send IvDogg a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Everyone,

I'm hoping to get some help with this one. I'm currently trying to test SharePoint 2010 for my organization (Army National Guard - Hawaii). I'm using Windows Server 2008 R2 pre-configured for DoD use (very restrictive security policies out of the box) with all the latest updates. MS SQL Server 2008 SP3 and MOSS 2010 SP1 slipstream install.

After a fairly clean install, on the first run of Central Administration, Internet Explorer just hangs with "Website found. Waiting for reply". If I let it sit for about 2 hours the CA page will eventually come up. It will work fine, until IIS is reset, then it's another 2 hour wait, the same thing happens for any web applications I create. I'm hoping someone can help me resolve this extremely long wait for the CA to come up.

So far I've isolated this to some sort of domain policy or domain authentication issue. As the server works find when configured as a Standalone.

Also I've found when installing SQL Server when the computer is on the domain it takes about 2 hour to get past the service account selection screen of the setup. It will just hang and eventually the next screen will come up 2 hours later.

I look forward to any suggestions anyone has, please let me know if logs will be useful, but I can't seem to find anything really definitive on my logs.

Edit:

I also forgot to mention that our organization has a huge, national domain. With an OU for each state.

lady_mcse
Old Timer

659 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2012 :  5:28:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sure sounds like something DNS related to me. Especially that bit about 2 hr wait for the service account selection. Does it also take a long time for the initial logon (computer applying settings)?

Your first time opening CA and opening up web pages for the first time are always going to be slow, but should still be within a minute or two if everything underneath is working well.

Can you open the CA any faster from a remote PC? (You'll need to know the Port # and key in the URL for it)
Is this a single box with SQL & CA\Web Front End on the same machine?

If the remote PC opens faster, then it's possible that this article may apply to your situation:
http://www.harbar.net/archive/2009/07/02/disableloopbackcheck-amp-sharepoint-what-every-admin-and-developer-should-know.aspx

Anne O'Day
MCITP: SharePoint 2010
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Mark Minasi's Reader Forum © 2002-2011 Mark Minasi Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000