Mark Minasi's Reader Forum
Mark Minasi's Reader Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Minasi Forum RSS Feed
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 HALP! Questions on Windows and Windows Server
 Windows Server 2008
 windows sbs 2008 and server 2008
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RichNRockville
Here To Stay

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2012 :  11:39:50 AM  Show Profile  Send RichNRockville an AOL message  Look at the Skype phone address from RichNRockville  Reply with Quote
I have a client with small business server 2008 which is the domain controller and a standard 2008 server is the Terminal Server for the network. They are not running exchange.

Can another standard 2008 server which would really be a big file server be joined to this domain?

Or can it just be put up as a stand alone server with unlimited access to any of the domain users?

Rich

msuthern
Welcome Newcomer

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2012 :  3:37:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit msuthern's Homepage  Reply with Quote
To the best of my knowledge there can be as many servers as you want joined to an SBS network. The only caveat is that the SBS box has to be the Primary domain controller, and handling all the FSMO roles.
HTH,

Michael Suthern
Go to Top of Page

wobble_wobble
Honorable But Hopeless Addict

Ireland
4832 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2012 :  5:04:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit wobble_wobble's Homepage  Look at the Skype address for wobble_wobble  Reply with Quote
Yes, the SBS server needs to be the FSMO role holder and can't do domain trusts.

If the SBS box is just doing DC, DNS and DHCP, why not add the disk to the SBS server and use its backup facility to backup all the data?
Or add the 2nd server as a DC, and also make it a file server and add some redundancy?

Joe

After everything that has happened during the month of Jan 07, I do believe that pigs fly backwards!
Q: How do pigs land?

Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Go to Top of Page

RichNRockville
Here To Stay

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2012 :  06:50:48 AM  Show Profile  Send RichNRockville an AOL message  Look at the Skype address for RichNRockville  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I thought that it would support more servers on the sbs network as long as there was only one pdc.

Rich
Go to Top of Page

wobble_wobble
Honorable But Hopeless Addict

Ireland
4832 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2012 :  3:26:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit wobble_wobble's Homepage  Look at the Skype address for wobble_wobble  Reply with Quote
Nope - only issues with SBS are as stated;
The SBS has to be the FSMO role holder (PDC, RID, Schema, Infrastucture, Domain Naming Master) and cannot do forest/ domain trusts.

There is the 75 user limit as well - but you gotta have a down size.

You can have as many DC's as you want though. You can also have a different exchange server/ sharepoint. Its a good, reliable product.

Joe

After everything that has happened during the month of Jan 07, I do believe that pigs fly backwards!
Q: How do pigs land?

Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Mark Minasi's Reader Forum © 2002-2011 Mark Minasi Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000