Mark Minasi's Reader Forum
Mark Minasi's Reader Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Minasi Forum RSS Feed
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Email, Databases, Sharepoint and more
 Windows SharePoint Services / Portal
 DisableLoopbackCheck & SharePoint
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JSCLMEDAVE
Administrator

USA
6378 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2011 :  2:16:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit JSCLMEDAVE's Homepage  Click to see JSCLMEDAVE's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thank you Anne for this link..!

DisableLoopbackCheck & SharePoint: What every admin and developer should know.

Earlier today a Twitter conversation amongst some SharePoint people including my good buddies Todd Klindt and Rick Taylor took place on the subject of the infamous “loopback fix”. I promised to do a follow up post here to clear up some misconceptions about this subject with respect to SharePoint.

What is the issue?
Windows Server 2003 SP1 introduced a loopback security check. This feature is obviously also present in Windows Server 2008. The feature prevents access to a web application using a fully qualified domain name (FQDN) if an attempt to access it takes place from a machine that hosts that application. The end result is a 401.1 Access Denied from the web server and a logon failure in the event log.

Tim-

“This too shall pass"

lady_mcse
Old Timer

658 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2011 :  2:38:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yer quite welcome. That article was a total lifesaver to me. One thing I don't fully understand tho if I followed it correclty is that this is pretty much 100% guaranteed to be needed if it's a single-server installation. But later one when I rebuilt my farm and split out to SQL + Web Front End, I found that I still needed to do it! Right now we are still in dev\test environments, but I'm close to bringing my first production farm online.

Anne O'Day
MCITP: SharePoint 2010
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Mark Minasi's Reader Forum © 2002-2011 Mark Minasi Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000