Mark Minasi's Reader Forum
Mark Minasi's Reader Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Minasi Forum RSS Feed
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 OTHER HALP! Linux, Hardware, and Anything Else
 SUS / WSUS, HFNetChk
 clarification needed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rambler
Major Contributor

Czech Republic
994 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2010 :  5:08:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi. I'm somewhat new to WSUS.
I've configured WSUS, picked updates, synched etc, configured GPO settting to push to client machines.

Client installed updates and rebooted per schedule.

My question is - why does WSUS console reports that 5 updates are still required for this particular client when there's no update available when I search for them from the client machine?
And it's not just this one machine - I'm getting similar results for other machines too - 2 updates required, 6 updates required etc...

All client machiens are W2k8 R2.

Also I can't find anywhere which exactly are these missing (required) updates.

kgbrisc1
Here To Stay

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  04:12:14 AM  Show Profile  Click to see kgbrisc1's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If you look in your WSUS console under the computer group where your clients are, select your particular client and below it will show the status of the client.

It should show "Updates Needed: 5"

Click on Updates needed and it should show you a report of the client - the missing updates are listed on pg2 onwards.

---------------
Kieren
Go to Top of Page

Rambler
Major Contributor

Czech Republic
994 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  05:49:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks.
The problem is the report lists required updates, but when you search for updates from the client machine, there's no updates available.

Also, even when I have all avail updates confirmed to install and they all seems to be installed on the client, searching on Windows update web directly (from the client machine) reveals additional updates available that are not avail from the WSUS.

My goal is simple - have the machines updates from WSUS in the same manner as if they were updated from Windows Update directly.
Go to Top of Page

kgbrisc1
Here To Stay

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2010 :  05:42:56 AM  Show Profile  Click to see kgbrisc1's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure why WSUS would report updates available but the client does not. Sounds like the client is not checking back in with WSUS to report a succesful installation maybe? Try having a sift through WindowsUpdate.log on the client for any errors.

Regarding WSUS reporting no updates needed yet Windows/Microsoft Update does:

"The optional updates available from WU/MU that are not supported via WSUS
are generally because they do not lend themselves to unattended
installation, or cannot/do not use update.exe technology, or Windows
Installer technology."

---------------
Kieren
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: