Mark Minasi's Reader Forum
Mark Minasi's Reader Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Minasi Forum RSS Feed
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 HALP! Questions on Windows and Windows Server
 Windows Server 2008
 Domain trust and netbios
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

albiemanmike
Seasoned But Casual Onlooker

27 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2012 :  1:30:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have two domains in different cities connected via site to site VPN. I created a Forest wide transitive trust between the two domains and it all seemed to go through fine. But when I go to one of the domains and type a netbios name for a server in the other domain it will not find the machine. I have to type the FQDN i.e. \\myserver.mydomain.llc to be able to browse to the server. This isn't really a big deal for me but we have an Access DB that is extremely old and it references the machine name only. I don't manage the DB and the guy that does says he cannot change the way the reference is without totally rebuilding the synch relationship.

Is this normal behavior for a domain trust or am I missing something really dumb? I am pretty good with AD but I am by know means an AD guru. I only have a couple of clients that have AD and as such I don't deal with it on a daily or weekly basis. If this is not normal what do I need to do to make netbios work properly between the two domains without having to use FQDN's? Thanks for any help anyone is willing to provide.

Michael Mayo
IT Support Engineer
Soft Designs Inc.

cj_berlin
Honorable But Hopeless Addict

Germany
4051 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2012 :  2:32:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit cj_berlin's Homepage  Look at the Skype address for cj_berlin  Reply with Quote
Michael,

you could use the GlobalNames DNS zone for that.

HTH,

Evgenij Smirnov
German readers can find me online at http://it-pro-berlin.de
Now working for CGI
Go to Top of Page

albiemanmike

27 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2012 :  2:42:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Michael,

you could use the GlobalNames DNS zone for that.

HTH

Is that a special zone? I am not familiar with it and do not recall seeing it before.

Michael Mayo
IT Support Engineer
Soft Designs Inc.
Go to Top of Page

wkasdo
Administrator

Netherlands
7678 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2012 :  2:57:41 PM  Show Profile  Click to see wkasdo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The traditional solution is to add a DNS Suffix for the other domain, for instance using a GPO. But the DNS Global Name Zone will do the trick as well (better, in fact). As will WINS :-)

Make it as simple as you can, but not simpler -- Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

cj_berlin

Germany
4051 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2012 :  3:12:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit cj_berlin's Homepage  Look at the Skype address for cj_berlin  Reply with Quote
TechNet Article

Evgenij Smirnov
Now working for CGI

Edited by - cj_berlin on 02/01/2012 3:13:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

cj_berlin

Germany
4051 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2012 :  3:14:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit cj_berlin's Homepage  Look at the Skype address for cj_berlin  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wkasdo

As will WINS :-)

I thought about mentioning that but shouldn't we avoid disturbing the dead?

Evgenij Smirnov
Now working for CGI

Edited by - cj_berlin on 02/01/2012 3:14:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

albiemanmike

27 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2012 :  12:06:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you gentleman I think I got it figured out. Now we have to figure out why they can't synchronize the Access 97 DB from one location to the other which did work previously when this person was using a Windows XP machine but it dies and I replaced it with a Win7 Pro machine and now it won't sync the DB? They have full access to the files in the other domain I tested it so who knows I am leaving it to the DB admin guy to figure it out I have done my thing.

Michael Mayo
IT Support Engineer
Soft Designs Inc.
Go to Top of Page

wkasdo
Administrator

Netherlands
7678 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2012 :  02:25:20 AM  Show Profile  Click to see wkasdo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cj_berlin

quote:
Originally posted by wkasdo

As will WINS :-)

I thought about mentioning that but shouldn't we avoid disturbing the dead?

Geriatric but not dead I'm afraid. About 50% of the enterprises still seem to have it. Had one funny case last month. I was inspecting their AD and was asked to have a look at WINS. I discovered that it was configured completely wrong: not replicating, and wrong IP addresses. It was not being used at all! At that point we just turned it off :-)

Make it as simple as you can, but not simpler -- Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Mark Minasi's Reader Forum © 2002-2011 Mark Minasi Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000