Mark Minasi's Reader Forum
Mark Minasi's Reader Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Minasi Forum RSS Feed
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 HALP! Questions on Windows and Windows Server
 Windows Server 2003 R2
 Windows 2003 r2 x64 & terminal server?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

millep02
Seasoned But Casual Onlooker

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2011 :  2:28:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit millep02's Homepage  Click to see millep02's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Did some searching, and found nothing in the way of bad news, but I have some bad memories of x64 based systems form the 2003 timeframe (mainly xp x64) and was curious if anyone here had any experience with 2003 x64 and Terminal Server. I am preparing to build a term server using 2003 r2 std. edition (It's what I have on hand), I have 16 gb of memory installed right now, and would like to keep it, so I need the x64 version,and need to know what the consensus is.

Any horror stories guys?

wobble_wobble
Honorable But Hopeless Addict

Ireland
4813 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2011 :  5:25:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit wobble_wobble's Homepage  Look at the Skype address for wobble_wobble  Reply with Quote
Most apps in 2003 are not as 64bit friendly as 2008.

How many users to you expect to have on the server, that you'd require 16GB?

This gives some guidance on Ram requirements on a TS.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc784229(WS.10).aspx
or working link http://url.ie/agcd

Joe

After everything that has happened during the month of Jan 07, I do believe that pigs fly backwards!
Q: How do pigs land?

Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Go to Top of Page

millep02

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2011 :  10:00:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit millep02's Homepage  Click to see millep02's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That was very helpful, the article gave me more info on how to figure scaling of the server. I have a server that has 16gb installed, From the looks of things I may not need that much memory. I could install 2008 -non R2 I have an available license for that, just need to track down install media for it. My existing TS-licenses are for a 2003 farm though, I need to look that up.

I suppose a straight 2003 R2 edition would do the trick too. I may just downgrade to that to avoid any issues with my TS CALS.
Go to Top of Page

millep02

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2011 :  10:06:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit millep02's Homepage  Click to see millep02's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
and for the record, no more than 30 users or so. I would classify them as structured process users for the most part.

Edited by - millep02 on 04/01/2011 10:27:09 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Mark Minasi's Reader Forum © 2002-2011 Mark Minasi Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000