Mark Minasi's Reader Forum
Mark Minasi's Reader Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Minasi Forum RSS Feed
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 HALP! Questions on Windows and Windows Server
 Active Directory
 xerox ldap setup
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

FAQS
Here To Stay

171 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2010 :  10:42:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I have been debating ...on setting up our xerox machines to use LDAP to acess AD so ppl can scan to email by piking the users from AD direclty rather than manualy typin their names....

what r the disadvantages of enablin this feature?

Thanks

"Success is not to be measured by the position someone has reached in life, but the obstacles he has overcome while trying to succeed."

cj_berlin
Honorable But Hopeless Addict

Germany
4030 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2010 :  11:26:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit cj_berlin's Homepage  Look at the Skype address for cj_berlin  Reply with Quote
depending on your AD size and OU structure, there well may be 100s of accounts who will NEVER require scanning to their email but will still get listed i.e. the user at the machine might have to scroll through them.

I have set this up at a couple of sites and cannot see any other disadvantages.

FWIW,

Evgenij Smirnov
Go to Top of Page

MadCow

Canada
1852 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2010 :  12:55:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Accidently a user may scan to wrong email address and may end up emailing something which s/he did not want to be disclosed to a wrong person...

where as manually typing the recipients address .... it has very less chance or no chance of mistakes.

My opinion.

Sunny

"Everyone is susceptible to the notion that when you begin to do well, you begin to see no boundary lines and forget the rules apply" - Eliot Spitzer
Go to Top of Page

wkasdo
Administrator

Netherlands
7654 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2010 :  3:10:11 PM  Show Profile  Click to see wkasdo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
One thing to look at is that you may have to turn off LDAP signing, which is a security thing.

Make it as simple as you can, but not simpler -- Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

MrEclipseguy

USA
1484 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2010 :  4:33:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some copiers have on screen buttons for which you can setup by name which will be better in my opinion than having to type in the email addy everytime. Also the way we have ours setup it pulls from the GAL by typing in a portion of the users last name and then you can add the button for them. The only draw back I've seen here is keeping up with removing those that have been added that are no longer with the company. Other than that I've had much success with it and love it.

Also make sure you take a look at your default file size or you might run into situations where larger files that are scanned get cut up into smaller files and you may not be able to open them once received via email.

Mike

Blah, Blah, Blah!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Mark Minasi's Reader Forum © 2002-2011 Mark Minasi Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000