Mark Minasi's Reader Forum
Mark Minasi's Reader Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Minasi Forum RSS Feed
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 HALP! Questions on Windows and Windows Server
 Windows Server 2008
 VSS Full Backup and VSS Copy Backup
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NikolasE
Major Contributor

Cyprus
937 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  3:09:41 PM  Show Profile  Click to see NikolasE's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Okay here i go

In Windows 2003 there was :

Full - Back up files - Using archive bit (reset archive bit)
Differential - Back up changed files since last full - Using archive bit (does not reset archive bit)
Incremental - Back up changed files since last full or incremental - Using archive bit (reset archive bit)

Now On Windows 2008 There are 2 Choices.

VSS Copy Backup Which Does not Clear the Archive Bit.

This means that Files that have been Changed their Archive Bit is Activated and WBS Backups this Files and does not clear the Archive Bit (Application Logs) So when a Secondary Backup Software sees that their Files Archive Bit is Activated it Backups Them. Correct?

VSS Full Backup which Clears the Archive Bit

This means that Files that have been changed their Archive Bit is Activated and WBS Backups this files and Clears Their Archive Bit (Application Logs) So When a Secondary Backup software if we made that Mistake to have Secondary Backup Software and Choose VSS Full Backup sees that files that Archive Bit is not Activated so it consider that Files have not been Changed and does not Backup Them. Correct?

Pls Understand me i have many Difficulties on my english and am keep Trying thats why i ask simples Questions.

wkasdo
Administrator

Netherlands
7654 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  04:13:12 AM  Show Profile  Click to see wkasdo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Don't worry Nicolas, your english is better than my greek. I only had to read this three times ;-) Looks like you got it right.

Regarding the previous thread: Mark is right, the commandline tools are better for serious use. The GUI isn't finished. The 2008R2 (build 7000) version has a few improvements. One of them is an intriguing "bare metal recovery" that I yet have to try.

Make it as simple as you can, but not simpler -- Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

NikolasE
Major Contributor

Cyprus
937 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  05:03:56 AM  Show Profile  Click to see NikolasE's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wkasdo

Don't worry Nicolas, your english is better than my greek. I only had to read this three times ;-) Looks like you got it right.

Regarding the previous thread: Mark is right, the commandline tools are better for serious use. The GUI isn't finished. The 2008R2 (build 7000) version has a few improvements. One of them is an intriguing "bare metal recovery" that I yet have to try.

Only 3 Times :) Well am Happy i got it right. I know he is right. I guess i need to read the newsletter and learn more about Backup Using Command Line.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Mark Minasi
Chief cook and bottle washer

USA
10766 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  09:13:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark Minasi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Forgive me for putting my oar in...

Nikolas, I've done a bunch of testing on that thing and the GUI's label is one hundred percent wrong. My testing shows that it doesn't do a single thing on the archive bit.

What it REALLY does is to include or exclude the "previous versions" and "system restore" information in the backup. It's only relevant to bare metal recovery. (Which is an amazingly cool feature, I've used it!)

Mark
tweetin' at mminasi
Go to Top of Page

Rambler
Major Contributor

Czech Republic
994 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  11:51:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shrug. As my questions are partially related to this thread, I hope you won't mind me hijacking it a bit later on.
So, I almost thought I finally understand how WSB works, but I guess not...

Mark (or anyone), which option in the GUI (VSS Copy/Full) contains the previous versions and system restore info? And how do those 2 GUI options relate to the -vssfull option of wbadmin?

Give the way WSB works, we decided to "full" backup, so we can use it for both DR scenario (Complete "PC" restore) and normal backups (to be able to restore files/directories).

Also if you use wbadmin, you can use local drive and keep its drive letter and other content on the disk. If you use the GUI, the disk is formatted and drive letter is removed ... as the documentation says... reasoning being backup consistency.
So, what's the difference really? I'd prefer wbadmin method, because I can use the drive for other purposes too, but the GUI simplifies scheduling the tasks (unless you're limited by the options it provide).

And last one - regarding WSB and backing up SQL server - SQL server has VSS writer, so it's VSS-aware app. What does it mean in reality - if I backup server with SQL server, will the SQL server be in consistent state if I do "Complete PC restore"? What happens to transaction logs during WSB backup? Regarding the previous paragraph - backing up with wbadmin will for example allow me to store SQL DB backups to the same disk where WSB backups are stored (not possible with with the "GUI way") - feasible or not?
Go to Top of Page

jinfeld
Welcome Newcomer

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2011 :  5:08:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For SBS 2011 and Server 2008 R2, Bare Metal Recovery backup, which option should you choose:
VSS Copy Backup
or
VSS Full Backup

ISIS Computer Systems
Solutions for Business since 1982
Go to Top of Page

mikepiet
Honorable But Hopeless Addict

USA
1940 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2011 :  01:29:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wanted to bump this because I was looking for an answer to the same thing as above ^^^^

Sinners Make The Best Saints
Go to Top of Page

wobble_wobble
Honorable But Hopeless Addict

Ireland
4810 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2011 :  09:19:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit wobble_wobble's Homepage  Look at the Skype address for wobble_wobble  Reply with Quote
For SBS use the Backup wizard, and take the lot.

For the Standard server, unless you have specific requirements, then I'd take a VSS Full Backup, you never know when you'll want to restore to a VM/ other piece of hardware.

Joe

After everything that has happened during the month of Jan 07, I do believe that pigs fly backwards!
Q: How do pigs land?

Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Go to Top of Page

BryanW
Welcome Newcomer

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2012 :  3:07:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have read the microsoft help files and several threads about this and am still trying to figure it out. It sounds like VSS Full Backup is the one to use if you want to use bare metal recovery. Is this correct? The GUI lets you choose bare metal recovery even if you say VSS Copy Backup. Is it that the bare metal recovery will get it to a more up-to-date state (including more recent changes) if you use the VSS Full Backup, while bare metal recovery will still work but not be as up-to-date with VSS Copy Backup? Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Mark Minasi
Chief cook and bottle washer

USA
10766 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2012 :  5:45:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark Minasi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Bryan -- as far as I can see -- and I've done a lot of looking at this -- "-vssfull" has NOTHING to do with being able to do bare metal, either will provide BMR.

The only difference is the resulting VSS on a system that you've restored from the backup. Thus, let's say that you must do a BMR. You now have a server that acts just like the one that died. How many generations of files can be undeleted from VSS, one or many? That's what -vssfull does. I hope this helps.

Mark
tweetin' at mminasi
Go to Top of Page

BryanW
Welcome Newcomer

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2012 :  1:55:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, now I see. Just what you said previously, of course; I was just reading more into it. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Mark Minasi's Reader Forum © 2002-2011 Mark Minasi Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000