Mark Minasi's Reader Forum
Mark Minasi's Reader Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Minasi Forum RSS Feed
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 HALP! Questions on Windows and Windows Server
 Windows Vista
 Scheduling a Task - Logon Session Does Not Exist
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sixdoubleo
Major Contributor

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2007 :  3:55:59 PM  Show Profile  Click to see sixdoubleo's MSN Messenger address  Send sixdoubleo a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I am trying to schedule a task in Vista to run as a specified local "service account" user. I get the error:

"A specified logon session does not exist. It may already have been terminated."

I have tried the command line (schtasks.exe) as well as the GUI. (In elevated command prompt)

I am simply scheduling a batch file "C:\Scripts\Test1.bat" to run daily and to run as "testadmin" who is a member of the Administrators group. I am specifying the option "Run Whether User is Logged on or not". No matter what I do, I always get the above error.

The only account I have been successful in creating a task for is "SYSTEM".

Is there some local system policy preventing accounts other than SYSTEM to run a scheduled task?

I have also tried disabling UAC to no avail.

Edited by - sixdoubleo on 11/27/2007 4:00:25 PM

sixdoubleo
Major Contributor

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2007 :  12:35:12 PM  Show Profile  Click to see sixdoubleo's MSN Messenger address  Send sixdoubleo a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I found the problem to this. As I suspected, it was a GPO setting.

We disable the "Allow user to save server credentials" setting. We were having problems where PC support staff would go to help a user, try to get into a privileged area, get challenged, then enter their own administrator credentials, and check the "Save Password" box. From that point on, the user would have elevated rights when accessing that server. It's actually kind of interesting how we found out about the problem. basically users were complaining "my banner page on the printer has an administrator as the name instead of mine".

Anyway...unfortunately, Vista's task scheduler now uses this facility to store the Runas password for the Runas account (which I find a little odd, because the Save credentials thing is part of the logged-in user's profile).

Anyway, lifting that setting fixed it.
Go to Top of Page

Mark Minasi
Chief cook and bottle washer

USA
10762 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2007 :  6:38:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark Minasi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aha -- interesting. Thanks!

Mark
tweetin' at mminasi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Mark Minasi's Reader Forum © 2002-2011 Mark Minasi Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000