Mark Minasi's Reader Forum
Mark Minasi's Reader Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Minasi Forum RSS Feed
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 HALP! Questions on Windows and Windows Server
 Storage: Dfs, RAID, NTFS, disks and more
 DFS Replication status monitoring
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

netmarcos
Honorable But Hopeless Addict

USA
2273 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  11:07:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit netmarcos's Homepage  Click to see netmarcos's MSN Messenger address  Look at the Skype phone address from netmarcos  Send netmarcos a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know of a good way to monitor DFS replication status? I have a hub and spoke replication topology with a couple dozen targets and I need to be able to monitor replication progress when changes are made to the master replica. Is MOM my only option?

Mark M. Webster

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped. - Elbert Hubbard

Rhonda
Old Timer

USA
473 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  11:25:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which replication engine are you using? DFS can be replicated with either FRS or DFS-R and there are different tools to monitor the replication process with.

Setup and Deployment MVP
Follow my Tweet at RhondaLayfield
Go to Top of Page

bhendin
Here To Stay

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  11:32:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Replmon (GUI) and Repadmin (CLI) for DFS
Ultrasound (GUI), frsutil (CLI), and Sonar (GUI, unsupported) for FRS.

There are some good scripts to use to parse the info from these, search ofn microsoft for the CLIs. Also look as some of the other threads on here over the past month, there are several which speak to this exact question.
Go to Top of Page

netmarcos

USA
2273 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  11:55:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit netmarcos's Homepage  Click to see netmarcos's MSN Messenger address  Look at the Skype address for netmarcos  Send netmarcos a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
DFS-R These servers are all 2003 R2 SP2.

Mark M. Webster

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped. - Elbert Hubbard

Go to Top of Page

netmarcos

USA
2273 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  11:58:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit netmarcos's Homepage  Click to see netmarcos's MSN Messenger address  Look at the Skype address for netmarcos  Send netmarcos a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Replmon for DFS?

Mark M. Webster

Go to Top of Page

netmarcos

USA
2273 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  12:06:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit netmarcos's Homepage  Click to see netmarcos's MSN Messenger address  Look at the Skype address for netmarcos  Send netmarcos a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ben,
I have searched for this on this forum but have not found what I was looking for. Do you have any links that you could share?

Mark M. Webster

Go to Top of Page

Rhonda
Old Timer

USA
473 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  12:28:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DFS-R has the built in ability to create Health Reports (diagnostic reports really)
To create a report: Either right-click the replication group and choosing “Create Diagnostic Report” or, highlight the replication group and choosing “Create Diagnostic Report” from the Actions menu.

Once the Diagnostic Report Wizard is launched you must choose the Server to be Primary. the primary server is the server whose data is considered the most current and accurate. so all other members of the replication group will compare the data they have to the data the primary member has and that is what the report is based on.

You can also do more customized reports from the command line. Here are a few of them:

The following example will generate a health report that:
Gathers information from ALL servers in a replication group named ISO.
Houston is the Reference/Primary Member.
The report will be named HealthReport.html stored in the C:\Reports folder of the local machine.

DfsrAdmin Health New /RgName:ISO /RefMemName:HardwareTX\Houston /RepName:C:\Reports\HealthReport.html /FsCount:true

Gathers information only from a server named Dallas
Houston is the Reference/Primary Member for a replication group named ISO.
The report will be named DallasHealth.html stored in the C:\Reports folder of the local machine. Type it all as one line.
DfsrAdmin Health new /RgName:ISO /MemName:HardwareTX\Dallas /RefMemName:Houston /RepName:C:\Reports\DallasHealth.html /FsCount:true

Gathers information from all Servers listed in the C:\Servers.txt file for the ISO replication group.
Houston is the Reference/Primary Member.
The report will be named ServersHealth.html stored in the C:\Reports folder of the local machine.
DfsrAdmin Health New /RgName:ISO /MemberListFile:C:\Servers.txt /RefMemName:Houston /RepName:C:\Reports\ServersHealth.html /FsCount:true

I hope this helps.....

Setup and Deployment MVP
Follow my Tweet at RhondaLayfield
Go to Top of Page

netmarcos

USA
2273 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  4:03:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit netmarcos's Homepage  Click to see netmarcos's MSN Messenger address  Look at the Skype address for netmarcos  Send netmarcos a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rhonda. It helps a bit. It is unfortunate that there does not seem to be a simple method to get a list of just the backlogged files awaiting replication. A simple text query that would return just that at the CLI would be nice. As for notification when replication is complete, I suppose MOM is the best tool for tracking that type of event. Some sort of notification when open files are preventing replication in real-time would be helpful as well.

Maybe I should share the rest of the story...

Client has a DFS share that contains applications files. Version control is very important. They plan to update code off-hours by updating the content of the master (Hub) copy. They then want a way to monitor replication progress to all of the spoke replicas in quasi-realtime. Previous method as via Robocopy and watching the log files for each target. Just trying to silence a few of the paranoid rantings surrounding a move to DFS.

Thanks for your help.

Mark M. Webster

Go to Top of Page

bhendin
Here To Stay

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  7:30:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ntfrsutil along with associated scripts (like topchk.cmd).
I don't know if that tool is valid for DFS-R or only FRS?
Just starting with a few R2 servers, so I'm not sure.

I think Dfsrdiag.exe can return to you a count of backlogged files, but not sure if it can enumerate them individually.

You could also utilize windiff to compare two directories to see what differs between them.

Edited by - bhendin on 05/08/2007 7:45:10 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Mark Minasi's Reader Forum © 2002-2011 Mark Minasi Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000