Mark Minasi's Reader Forum
Mark Minasi's Reader Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Minasi Forum RSS Feed
 All Forums
 HALP! Questions on Windows and Windows Server
 Windows Server 2008
 Server 2008 Event ID 2012

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List
   
Message:

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

 
Note: please do not cross-post.
Cross-postings will be deleted and ignored.
Thanks for helping to keep this forum junk-free!
Check here to subscribe to this topic.
   

T O P I C    R E V I E W
keith Posted - 04/04/2012 : 08:35:54 AM
This server has been in action for around two years with no issues, the last couple of weeks I have been getting this error repeatedly -

"While transmitting or receiving data, the server encountered a network error. Occasional errors are expected, but large amount of these indicate a possible error in your network configuration. The error status code is contained within the returned data (formatted as words)and may point you towards the problem."

This server runs Sage Line 50 for the network and the users are experiencing locks ups and freezing on a regular basis throughout the day. I have had Sage checked and there's no issues there.

I have researched this till I'm blue in the face, I have tried everything people have suggested such as:
Remove and re-add the network card
Get the latest drivers for the card
Disable IPV6
Disabling Large Send Offload
Disabling RSS
Disabling Chimney Offload

Can anyone give me any ideas how to fix this please before I pull my hair out, thanks in advance.
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
keith Posted - 05/15/2012 : 07:41:34 AM
It looks like I have resolved the issue fingers crossed, I disabled the onboard Broadcom NIC and inserted a new Gigabit Intel card and the server has been running fine now for almost a week, seems there may be an issue between Broadcom and Dell servers. Thanks for all your help.
keith Posted - 05/01/2012 : 06:54:41 AM
Thanks for your comments guys, sorry I have been away for a week. To answer some of your questions the server is a member server running Sage Line 50 with max 10 users, the av is Kaspersky, all the relevant files and folders as recommended by Sage are added to the av exclusions so that Kaspersky doesn't scan them, I paused the av for a few days and although the number of incidents dropped dramatically it didn't clear it completely. I have purchased a new gigabit nic of the intel variety to rule out broadcom problems and will try that as soon as possible and let you know how I get on.
wkasdo Posted - 04/24/2012 : 4:33:30 PM
+1, good points. AV can explain _anything_.

> I would almost want to try a completely different NIC

That's right, don't rule out the hardware. Cable, switch port, switch config (autosense, anyone?), etc.
Cid Posted - 04/24/2012 : 4:11:04 PM
What kind of environment are we talking about? Is the server a DC or a member server? How many users on the network using this application in question?

If I were in your place, I would almost want to try a completely different NIC (as opposed to removing/readding the current one which you have already tried). That can be a bit of a pain if we're talking about a DC, but not so much if we're just talking about a member server.

I would also check whatever antivirus you're running. I've had a similar issue, not the same event ID but very similar to what you've described, and it turned out my antivirus program on that server (AVG) was screwing with me. Turned out, I had forgotten to add the application in question to AVG's resident shield exclusions. Which was fine at first, as it chugged along and life was great for a year or so, but then AVG downloaded a definitions update one day and all of a sudden decided it did NOT like this app.

I'd think an antivirus issue would be more obvious (usually some big scary popup warning or a note in the AV's logs), but not always. Still, if it's at all possible I would definitely try a DIFFERENT network card and see if you get any results from that. Sounds to me like the NIC may just be flaking out.

Mark Minasi's Reader Forum © 2002-2011 Mark Minasi Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000