Mark Minasi's Reader Forum
Mark Minasi's Reader Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Minasi Forum RSS Feed
 All Forums
 Email, Databases, Sharepoint and more
 Exchange
 Moving 2010 to new hardware question...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Note: please do not cross-post.
Cross-postings will be deleted and ignored.
Thanks for helping to keep this forum junk-free!
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
anthony Posted - 04/10/2012 : 4:51:18 PM
In an emergency scenario like 4 for 5 months ago, we installed Exchange 2010 on hardware that was not really what I would consider "Exchange Ready"... Mind you it runs pretty well, but we wanted to use that hardware for another project, and buy something with 4 hour support.

Fast forward to present time. I have my new hardware, I've installed Server 2008 R2, Patched it up, etc.... I am now looking at what my existing server is running. It has Exchange 2010 SP1 Rollup 6 right now.

So, my first question, in a string of what I'm sure could be many is:

Should I upgrade to the latest and greatest on the existing box before starting to move mailboxes?

I know that's always best, but I would prefer not to add the risk of a Service Pack breaking something on my existing server before I even get started on the new one. So I guess, is the risk worth the downsides?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jazzy Posted - 06/18/2013 : 12:06:41 PM
This is an old topic, the reason you probably noticed it again was because a spammer posted in it. Both spammer and spampost are nuked. :)
Pesos Posted - 06/18/2013 : 10:24:44 AM
Screenshot? Maybe it's public folders?
anthony Posted - 07/11/2012 : 2:04:45 PM
Between hundreds of trouble tickets (unrelated to this) and other projects, I'm still pluggin' away at this. I think I'm almost there but...

I have made sure all workstations now have their Outlook pointing to the new server. However, when I do a NETSTAT on my old Exchange server I still have about 12 out of 100 systems connecting to the old server. If I do a "Shift Right-Click" and do a "Connection Status" it still shows a single connection to the old server - the rest of the connections are pointing to my CAS Array.

So the question is I guess, how do I figure out WHY it's still connecting to the old server?
clarinathan Posted - 05/31/2012 : 08:00:08 AM
Have you read this:
http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2012/05/30/rpc-client-access-cross-site-connectivity-changes.aspx

It gives a good understanding of why and what is happening.
Jazzy Posted - 05/30/2012 : 5:50:06 PM
Actually I meant to say that Outlook doens't connect to an Exchange 2007 CAS server, other then for web services.
aval Posted - 05/30/2012 : 4:49:27 PM
quote:
I'm a bit confused too. But remember that Outlook connects to an Exchange 2007 Mailbox server or an Exchange 2010 Client Access server, not to the Exchange 2010 CAS server.

Shouldn't that last part be MB server?

Except for Public Folders (still).
Jazzy Posted - 05/30/2012 : 2:14:54 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Pesos

Outlook won't take the new CAS name. It will continue to connect to the CAS it already has listed until that CAS is no longer available. The CAS will then just relay to your new DB IIRC. In order for Outlook to change, I think a switch to a DB in another AD site has to occur. Too busy this morning to dig into it though...

I'm a bit confused too. But remember that Outlook connects to an Exchange 2007 Mailbox server or an Exchange 2010 Client Access server, not to the Exchange 2010 CAS server.

Interesting, need to look into this too when I have time.

Edit: check this interesting thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvrmigration/thread/72dd3c25-dafb-4582-b447-3862be592157
Pesos Posted - 05/30/2012 : 1:07:18 PM
Outlook won't take the new CAS name. It will continue to connect to the CAS it already has listed until that CAS is no longer available. The CAS will then just relay to your new DB IIRC. In order for Outlook to change, I think a switch to a DB in another AD site has to occur. Too busy this morning to dig into it though...
anthony Posted - 05/30/2012 : 1:03:48 PM
But would it not allow the RPCClientAccessServer entry to change. Because since I did not have a CAS array initially, the entry is just OLDSERVERNAME. But now I have a CAS array named outlook.mydomain.local, and I just need to get the clients to change to that since the new database would have the CAS array name attached to it since it was created AFTER the CAS array but BEFORE I moved Mailboxes to it? Then If I moved them back, the existing DB's have the CAS array entry now too. So it would be OK. Or am I missing something?
Pesos Posted - 05/30/2012 : 12:56:57 PM
I don't think that will matter because your CAS server won't change and the clients will still route through that same CAS. I think the site has to change for outlook to change?
anthony Posted - 05/30/2012 : 12:54:46 PM
One thought I had was to just create a temporary DB, move mailboxes to it, then move them back to the original DB. Would that not work? It's only about 25 mailboxes at this point.
Pesos Posted - 05/30/2012 : 12:35:00 PM
Hi Anthony, haven't had time to digest this fully yet, but possibly an AD site change could be a cheat to get your outlook clients to update automagically: http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2012/05/30/rpc-client-access-cross-site-connectivity-changes.aspx
anthony Posted - 05/22/2012 : 11:15:36 AM
Yeah... that's what I'm reading. I'm trying to see if there is a way to remedy that situation. I hope so because as I posted above, I've already created mailbox DBs and moved all the mailboxes to them...
Pesos Posted - 05/22/2012 : 10:55:29 AM
p.s. I may be wrong about clients getting redirected to the new array value - they may cling to the old server name unfortunately...
Pesos Posted - 05/22/2012 : 10:53:54 AM
Yep - definitely want to get that created even if you plan to only have one server at a time. Makes migration/dr smoother and sets you up for load balancing if you ever need to go there.
anthony Posted - 05/22/2012 : 10:51:22 AM
I am looking into that article you sent. I think it's exactly what is wrong.

Thanks for the tip. I guess this CAS array would never be an issue until a 2nd server was added to the org... makes sense now.
Pesos Posted - 05/22/2012 : 10:49:02 AM
Great, so your autodiscover looks good. Start reading from section 5 here:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2012/03/28/demystifying-the-cas-array-object-part-2.aspx
anthony Posted - 05/22/2012 : 10:34:45 AM
If I "Ctrl Right-Click" on my Outlook System Tray Icon and do a "Connection Status" it shows:

Server Name: Type:
newserver.domain.local Directory
newserver.domain.local Directory
OLDserver.domain.local Mail
newserver.domain.local Public Folders

If I go to create a new mail profile and enter my username, it finds the new server....
Pesos Posted - 05/22/2012 : 10:24:56 AM
What is listed as the server when you check your outlook configuration (or create a new profile in outlook)?

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2012/03/23/demystifying-the-cas-array-object-part-1.aspx
anthony Posted - 05/22/2012 : 10:22:43 AM
I have not purposely "created" a CAS array if that's what you are asking. All I've done is installed an additional "iteration" of Exchange in the ORG. Then I moved mailboxes, public folders, connectors, etc...

When I run Get-ClientAccessArray it returns nothing. So if there is NO array, what info does Outlook use to connect? The server holding it's mailbox database?
Pesos Posted - 05/22/2012 : 10:00:51 AM
Hi Anthony, how do you have your CAS configuration set up? Have you created a CAS array (with just the new server as a member) and assigned that array to your DBs? Once you do so, clients should be transparently redirected to the new server. After sufficient time for all clients to connect at least once and get the redirect, you should be able to take down the old server. Anyone who doesn't connect in that timeframe will need to be repointed manually I believe. Have you tested creating a new profile from scratch and seeing what values you are getting CASwise (from autodiscover)?
anthony Posted - 05/22/2012 : 07:34:38 AM
OK, moving on...

I got all my mailboxes moved (from what I can tell). My send connectors are are only using my new server. My Public Folders live on the new server. I even got all my Arbitration, Discovery, and Approval Mailboxes moved. I got the Offline Address Book Moved.

All my mail is flowing through the new server (from what I can tell). Everything on the network points to the new server (scanners, copiers, etc.). The firewall is pointed to the new server, and inbound mail is routing through it. Outbound mail as well, although it uses our Zix encryption as a smart host on the way out...

I say all that, because yesterday as a test, a re-booted the old server and loads of people lost their connection to Exchange.

What am I missing? How can I check and see what still needs to be removed? Clearly something is still pointing to it.
anthony Posted - 05/18/2012 : 11:44:12 AM
I think I'm just going to move the Mailboxes over to the new server and not worry too much about it. After looking at the event logs of the old server, there are not even any events from the "MSExchangeMailboxAssistants" showing the MRM is actually doing maintenance. However, on the new server I can see it's running every day (and has been). So I'm going to just move the mailboxes over and let the new server clean them up.

On the OLD server, there are only the start and stop events of the service.

On the new server I have these once a day:

Log Name: Application
Source: MSExchangeMailboxAssistants
Date: 5/17/2012 9:50:58 AM
Event ID: 10027
Task Category: Managed Folder Assistant
Level: Information
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: myserver.mydomain.local
Description:
Statistics of MRM expiration at end of this work cycle:
TotalItemsSoftDeleted: 0
TotalItemsPermanentlyDeleted: 3972
TotalItemsMoved: 0
TotalSizeItemsSoftDeleted: 0 Bytes
TotalSizeItemsPermanentlyDeleted: 473768568 Bytes
TotalSizeItemsMoved: 0 Bytes
TotalItemsWithPersonalTag: 0
TotalItemsWithDefaultTag: 0
TotalItemsWithSystemCleanupTag: 0
TotalItemsExpiredByDefaultExpiryTag: 0
TotalItemsExpiredByPersonalExpiryTag: 0
TotalItemsMovedByDefaultArchiveTag: 0
TotalItemsMovedByPersonalArchiveTag: 0
anthony Posted - 05/18/2012 : 08:17:21 AM
I found this:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff678798.aspx

IT says this:

"This example permanently deletes items from Gurinder Singh's Recoverable Items folder and also copies the items to the GurinderSingh-RecoverableItems folder in the Discovery Search Mailbox (a discovery mailbox created by Exchange Setup)."

Search-Mailbox -Identity "Gurinder Singh" -SearchDumpsterOnly -TargetMailbox "Discovery Search Mailbox" -TargetFolder "GurinderSingh-RecoverableItems" -DeleteContent

Then it says:

Note:
To delete items from the mailbox without copying them to another mailbox, use the preceding command without the TargetMailbox and TargetFolder parameters.

But I don't need to copy it, I just want to delete it so I run:

"Search-Mailbox -Identity "Username" -SearchDumpsterOnly -DeleteContent"

It says, "The term 'Search-Mailbox' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, funtion, script file, or operable program.

What am I missing? Do I need to put something BEFORE that command?
anthony Posted - 05/18/2012 : 07:39:08 AM
No, everything is set to 30 days. We are not using any of the fancy message retention features. I know the default setting is like 20GB per mailbox. That's is waaay more than we need. I think that should be changed right? I just dont want to be in the scenario I read about where users cannot delete any messages because they hit the quota...
clarinathan Posted - 05/18/2012 : 06:33:30 AM
Do you have any users on legal hold?
anthony Posted - 05/17/2012 : 1:35:22 PM
It's the stuff in "Recoverable Items" Folder.

Did a Get-MailboxFoderStatistics -Identity [username]

It's supposedly set for 14 days... not sure how it's that big.
anthony Posted - 05/17/2012 : 1:16:37 PM
OK, this is weird...

A few days ago, I pushed out a txt file with all my mailbox stats by using the posh command:

Get-MailboxStatistics -Database "Mailbox Database Name" | Sort-Object TotalItemSize –Descending | ft @{label=”User”;expression={$_.DisplayName}},@{label=”Total Size (MB)”;expression={$_.TotalItemSize.Value.ToMB()}},@{label=”Items”;expression={$_.ItemCount}} | out-file C:\MailboxSizeReport.txt

And I planned by moves accordingly...

However, when I go to move the Mailboxes, the sizes are vastly different. For instance, on one; the report said it was about 1.5GB but when I went to move it was 5.87GB.

Am I not pulling the right stat in that initial report?
anthony Posted - 05/16/2012 : 5:02:02 PM
I have a select few - maybe 10 or so out of 100 or so. It appears to be homed on it, when I look at the grey bar within the viewer it has the FQHN of the NEW server. When I look at it that way, it only shows the Submission & [10.0.10.13] SmartHost Queue.
Pesos Posted - 05/16/2012 : 4:38:47 PM
do you have any mailboxes on the new server yet? is your queue viewer homed to the new server?

Mark Minasi's Reader Forum © 2002-2011 Mark Minasi Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000