Mark Minasi's Reader Forum
Mark Minasi's Reader Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Minasi Forum RSS Feed
 All Forums
 General Forum
 Miscellany (Technical)
 Lync for Disabled Captioning Capable for Web Conf

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Note: please do not cross-post.
Cross-postings will be deleted and ignored.
Thanks for helping to keep this forum junk-free!
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JSCLMEDAVE Posted - 04/25/2012 : 11:38:45 AM
Captioning Capabilities for Web Conferencing?

The company where I am currently contracting is now considered a federal contractor. As a result, we have to ensure our communications to the participants in this program are “508 compliant.” What this means is accessible to individuals with disabilities.

There is quite a bit of information available regarding “508 compliance”. However, there is little if any that explains how to implement it in Lync or what is recommended to use such as Screen Readers or Closed Captioning applications.

I found the Voluntary Product Accessibility Template (VPAT) info for specific Lync compatible systems, such as mobile devices. But this just gives me the basic 50,000 ft view NOT how to implement it.

The programs include Webinars, which need to be “508 compliant”.

Does anyone know if UC or Lync offer any sort of voice recognition or other options for captioning that are built in?

If not, do you know if any of our other contracted Web conferencing vendors or 3rd party applications that offer this capability?

You would think with all that Microsoft has done in this area it would be a simple built in option to be made available.
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
JSCLMEDAVE Posted - 04/25/2012 : 4:22:04 PM
Thanks Michael, that is what I have seen from several companies that have installed Lync. They have interpreters either onsite or on the conference call and are typing into the IM window or doing sign language.

Your link which I was reading last night even mentions "We used JAWS screen reader for our testing purposes."
NMDANGE Posted - 04/25/2012 : 3:55:39 PM
The Lync client itself is accessible, with things like screen readers. Any screen reader that works with Windows in general should work fine with Lync.
http://blogs.technet.com/b/lync/archive/2010/10/06/microsoft-lync-2010-accessibility.aspx

If you want "closed captioning" during a web conference, I am not aware of anything that can provide this, other than someone manually typing in the messages into the IM window of the conference.

Mark Minasi's Reader Forum © 2002-2011 Mark Minasi Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000