Mark Minasi's Reader Forum
Mark Minasi's Reader Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Minasi Forum RSS Feed
 All Forums
 Off Topic
 Off Topic Banter
 Caffinate me

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Note: please do not cross-post.
Cross-postings will be deleted and ignored.
Thanks for helping to keep this forum junk-free!
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Curt Posted - 01/06/2012 : 08:20:44 AM
This bit of news should make the lines at Star Buck's a bit longer.

•Coffee is the greatest source of antioxidants in the American diet.3,4 And the good news is that sound scientific studies have found that the common fears about excess coffee consumption are invalid, and higher intake means bigger benefits.
•An impressive number of studies have shown a strong association between higher consumption of coffee and a significantly reduced risk of most chronic diseases, including diabetes, cardiovascular disease, cancer, Alzheimer's disease, and others.
•With over 1,000 phytochemicals, coffee's unparalleled antioxidant punch no doubt plays a role in its protection against disease. But a multitude of direct biological actions on the body are suspected, such as an improvement in intracellular signaling,95,96 which may help prevent cancer, diabetes and more.
•Drinking just one cup of coffee a day - caffeinated or decaffeinated - can decrease the risk of developing diabetes by 13%.24 But at 12 cups a day, the risk of getting diabetes is slashed by 67%.21
•Far from being a risky habit, coffee has now been shown to provide powerful protection against an epidemic of diabetes and a rising tide of other age-related diseases. It's an all-natural and inexpensive elixir - to go!

30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mikepiet Posted - 03/14/2012 : 6:35:24 PM
People should be careful with over 3 cups a day. Tooth enamel decay and tooth staining is heavily contributed to with heavy coffee drinking.

Also, coffee is very acidic so it can contribute to ulcers and acid indigestion.

And as most know, caffeine works to dehydrate the body. Those overweight and at risk for heart conditions should note that dehydration can lead to stroke and or heart attack.

**I'm not a doctor, I just play one on the internet

Michael
lacrosseboy Posted - 03/07/2012 : 2:49:51 PM
MCD - Just Super Size Me! Oh, they already made a movie about that.
awilliams Posted - 03/07/2012 : 07:32:08 AM
I totally agree but on the other hand I definitely have to say that there is a difference between drinking too much coffee and drinking too much wine, isn't there? And alcohol mostly makes people go cuckoo. For me Starbucks is all about the coffee feeling and I would feel incredibly weird sipping on my coffee while people besides me are already drunk on port wine from uk at 5 pm. I do not see the necessity of selling alcoholic beverages at a coffee house. Where is the sense in that (apart from the economic factor that makes Starbucks numbers look good)?
Dellman102 Posted - 03/01/2012 : 2:19:31 PM
I don't agree - I know plenty of people who have a lot of health issues due to drinking a lot of coffee. It's just not healthy to keep your brain going on roller coaster rides each time you drink. A healthier less risky alternative to large amounts of antioxidants would be from the Acai berry, from the amazon - it is known as a super fruit, and studies have shown it to contain HUGE amounts of antioxidants that rival many other sources, if not all, for healing supliments.
Curt Posted - 01/10/2012 : 3:40:17 PM
Perhaps Double DARK Chocolate one would be better anti-oxident.

quote:
Originally posted by DennisMCSE

So here I am talking about eating a healthy diet and it's benefits. Went out to get some coffee since have a long meeting scheduled after lunch. Go through the drive through and order a coffee with milk and no sugar and a double chocolate donut. Pay and start driving back to work. Then it hit's me "double chocolate donut", why did I order that? Haven't done that in years. Must say though, it was good. lol

DennisMCSE Posted - 01/10/2012 : 2:47:46 PM
So here I am talking about eating a healthy diet and it's benefits. Went out to get some coffee since have a long meeting scheduled after lunch. Go through the drive through and order a coffee with milk and no sugar and a double chocolate donut. Pay and start driving back to work. Then it hit's me "double chocolate donut", why did I order that? Haven't done that in years. Must say though, it was good. lol

Curt Posted - 01/10/2012 : 11:54:01 AM
Never ate a McRib.

But running out to MCDs for 20 min while working and sitting for hours and hours with more visits to Star Bucks for Grande Mocas with whip and coffee cake can ruin your health.

Then go home at 1 A.M and have "Dinner".

You not only put on the pounds. You poisen yourself.

quote:
Originally posted by JSCLMEDAVE

Agreed Dennis! We have Loki set where IF he wants McDonalds he wants the apple wedges and chocolate milk over french fries and Coke. He likes their plain cheeseburgers and chicken (wonder meat) McNuggets. Other then that he prefers fresh food cooked at home.

He would rather have an apple or a banana over candy and he referes to other dast food places as "that's where the food makes our tummy's hurt." Yep! : )

Mac & Cheese has to be one of the worst! Check the Fat and calorie intake. You may as well have 3 Big Mac's and a gallon of Coke, all in one serving. Ugh...

For all the other foods I will add this link. This and Super Size Me should help others get off the fast food binge.

The most overrated sandwiches in America. Especially pay attention to the McRib..!

http://thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=overrated_sandwiches

JSCLMEDAVE Posted - 01/10/2012 : 10:53:48 AM
Agreed Dennis! We have Loki set where IF he wants McDonalds he wants the apple wedges and chocolate milk over french fries and Coke. He likes their plain cheeseburgers and chicken (wonder meat) McNuggets. Other then that he prefers fresh food cooked at home.

He would rather have an apple or a banana over candy and he referes to other dast food places as "that's where the food makes our tummy's hurt." Yep! : )

Mac & Cheese has to be one of the worst! Check the Fat and calorie intake. You may as well have 3 Big Mac's and a gallon of Coke, all in one serving. Ugh...

For all the other foods I will add this link. This and Super Size Me should help others get off the fast food binge.

The most overrated sandwiches in America. Especially pay attention to the McRib..!

http://thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=overrated_sandwiches

DennisMCSE Posted - 01/10/2012 : 10:45:50 AM
quote:

I don't have a problem what so ever... That comment was from a John Stewart episode. I am all for eating healthy. In fact IF I have a problem it's that a bag of oranges and apples with some Romaine and Red Leaf lettuce along with some non starchy replacements and LEAN meat (in moderation) with some fresh tomatoes will set you back $80 when the same amount can buy a months supply of Totino's pizzas and Mac & Cheese and an assortment of other junk...

What is a family on a tight budget going to do?

That bothers me...

OK, I understand the point you are making. Eating healthy may not be cheap in the short term, but does save you money in the long term since the issues and illnesses you get from eating an unhealthy diet will cost you more in doctors visits and medications and whatever in the long term. There's ways to eat healthier, that doesn't cost much more. But eating healthy doesn't mean totally changing the way you eat now, but just starting off with one or two meals a week that aren't based on a highly processed food diet will benefit you a great deal.

Also, sure the Totino's pizza's and the Mac and Cheese are cheaper, but since they have empty calories (not much nutritional value) you will constantly be hungry since your body will crave more food as it tries to get the nutrition your body needs. So more empty calories that will have to be burned off or will end up around your waist, or where ever calories go on an individual. Which leads to the New Years Resolution to get healthy, causing people to buy a gym membership that they rarely use after the first month.

Other things to keep in mind:

- Frozen or canned vegetables and fruits are just as nutritious as fresh, and are usually cheaper. Also, in some cases, things like lycopene and other nutrients are more easily absorbed from canned or frozen rather than fresh.
- High fibre foods are more filling than low fibre foods. So less needs to be eaten in order to feel full. So it may cost more, but you need to use less.
- When eating high calorie, low nutrition foods, people tend to over eat (leading to the after dinner food coma on the couch). Buy a large pizza, people tend to eat a large pizza, even when they feel full after a few slices.
- When eating low calorie, high nutritional foods, people tend to eat less and feel fuller longer.
- Processed foods are also higher in: sodium, unhealthy fats, sugar, and usually contain an ingredient list that looks like it comes from a chemical laboratory as opposed to a grocery store. Who knows what kind of long term issues that can lead to.
- Regardless of what I stated above, Hostess Twinkies are the exception. They help to preserve the body as well as taste really darn good.

Curt Posted - 01/09/2012 : 11:53:40 PM
Brown rice, Lentils, beans, Olive oil.

I spend money on real food. And I save money.
I follow the idea of cooking big and eating the meal for three days.
We have freezers we don't use properly.

Soups and salads go a long way. Making stuff is also a great way to save on food and you know whats in it.

IT's eating out that gets me fat.
JSCLMEDAVE Posted - 01/09/2012 : 8:08:22 PM
I don't have a problem what so ever... That comment was from a John Stewart episode. I am all for eating healthy. In fact IF I have a problem it's that a bag of oranges and apples with some Romaine and Red Leaf lettuce along with some non starchy replacements and LEAN meat (in moderation) with some fresh tomatoes will set you back $80 when the same amount can buy a months supply of Totino's pizzas and Mac & Cheese and an assortment of other junk...

What is a family on a tight budget going to do?

That bothers me...
DennisMCSE Posted - 01/09/2012 : 7:56:03 PM
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Curt

Guess your not into nutrition Tim?

Wouldn't touch that mess with a gun to my head.

Besides, a gun would be quicker. <g>

Tim, what's the issue with nutrition? My grandmother had a good diet and lived to 106. My dad didn't and lived to 61 (didn't even make it to retirement). A no brainer for me and doesn't take much of an effort

JSCLMEDAVE Posted - 01/09/2012 : 5:42:59 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Curt

Wouldn't touch that mess with a gun to my head.

Besides, a gun would be quicker. <g>
Curt Posted - 01/09/2012 : 5:31:26 PM
JSCLMEDAVE Posted - 01/09/2012 : 4:59:29 PM
Heroin is a great dietary drug. Problem is, there is just so much Heroin in it. <g>
Curt Posted - 01/09/2012 : 4:51:45 PM
There are some things that do help if they are used on conjuction with the diet and exercise program.

Playwell Posted - 01/09/2012 : 4:40:00 PM
There's a quote from Joan Collins which made me smile a little back then:
'I do not use diet products, because I've never seen skinny people eat or drink them'
Rastor728 Posted - 01/09/2012 : 4:13:53 PM
If you drink a diet pop with a candy bar the calories are annihilated just like antimatter!
DennisMCSE Posted - 01/08/2012 : 10:32:31 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Minasi

I was just listening to a lecture about this the other day. The funny thing is that just taking a caffeine pill wouldn't do the job because -- this was the fun part -- "coffee is a whole food."

Dang. A macrobiotic energy drink. Who knew?

Seriously, it was interesting to hear that tea -- my tipple of choice -- LACKS these benefits.

As long as I'm talking about this, I should put in a plug for the course "Nutrition Made Clear" from www.teach12.com. I loved it.

I have a nutritionist friend and she keeps talking about the same thing, that you can't just have a part of a food source, but need the "whole food" source or you don't get the benefits. For example, she talks about not having only egg whites, but you have to have the whole egg as the yolk and the white part work together to break down the nutrients you need from the egg. If you just have the egg white you don't get all the nutritional benefits of the egg (also the egg yolk isn't a big factor in the cholesterol levels as much as was previously thought, specially if you have the whole egg).

BTW, loved Professor Anding's "Nutrition Made Clear" course. The audio was great listening on drives to work.

Mark Minasi Posted - 01/08/2012 : 5:49:16 PM
I was just listening to a lecture about this the other day. The funny thing is that just taking a caffeine pill wouldn't do the job because -- this was the fun part -- "coffee is a whole food."

Dang. A macrobiotic energy drink. Who knew?

Seriously, it was interesting to hear that tea -- my tipple of choice -- LACKS these benefits.

As long as I'm talking about this, I should put in a plug for the course "Nutrition Made Clear" from www.teach12.com. I loved it.
MrEclipseguy Posted - 01/06/2012 : 7:11:57 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Polymath5

All the weight in alcohol is a myth. If you only drink 3/4 of a bottle, you leave all the calories in the bottom of the bottle or glass. Always remember, the heavy stuff sinks, so leave some and your safe!

It's like breaking a cookie, all the calories fall out!

Here, Here!!
wobble_wobble Posted - 01/06/2012 : 4:00:34 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Polymath5

All the weight in alcohol is a myth. If you only drink 3/4 of a bottle, you leave all the calories in the bottom of the bottle or glass. Always remember, the heavy stuff sinks, so leave some and your safe!

I'm with Jimi...
Polymath5 Posted - 01/06/2012 : 1:26:45 PM

DennisMCSE Posted - 01/06/2012 : 1:08:06 PM
quote:
Originally posted by wobble_wobble

OK I'm now sorted for day time, what about the Whiskey at night time?

Joe, like everything else, in moderation alcohol is healthy for you. For example, a glass of wine with dinner will benefit you health wise. A bottle of wine with dinner, not so much. So cheers to a shot of Whiskey/Whisky and enjoy, just keep an eye on how much you drink.

Curt Posted - 01/06/2012 : 12:52:18 PM
Sorry Joe, but that is going to put weight on you.
wobble_wobble Posted - 01/06/2012 : 12:12:11 PM
OK I'm now sorted for day time, what about the Whiskey at night time?
Curt Posted - 01/06/2012 : 11:55:43 AM
That is my point.
I just had my second mug which is about at least 2 cups..... Without sugar.
I use skim milk as well.

Having coffee without sugar and eating something like a banana or some grapes, etc. gets you past the missing of the sugar crystals and gets you the first fruit of the day in your diet.

But man, I still love blueberry pancakes with real maple syrup.

Once in a while is fine.

Have you guys seen how much weight Mark has lost. When he get's his mind on something he does it.
DennisMCSE Posted - 01/06/2012 : 11:38:56 AM
Having too much of anything is not healthy. The line about "...12 cups a day, the risk of getting diabetes is slashed by 67%.21..." may decrease diabetes, but you'll have a mess of other issues (and bounce off the walls all night long).

But like most things, in moderation, coffee does benefit the body.

Playwell Posted - 01/06/2012 : 11:30:38 AM
Eating wheat grass is not what it takes to make me WANT to live longer
Curt Posted - 01/06/2012 : 11:05:29 AM
Life Extensions.

It's a magazine.
I do not agree with a lot of stuff in there.

I try to stay balanced.
For sure having 7 frapachinos a day is not healthy.

But eating wheat grass to cure cancer and not going to a doctor is also not wise.

:)

Mark Minasi's Reader Forum © 2002-2011 Mark Minasi Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000