Mark Minasi's Reader Forum
Mark Minasi's Reader Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Minasi Forum RSS Feed
 All Forums
 HALP! Questions on Windows and Windows Server
 Windows Server 2008
 Exch 2003 on Hyper-V

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Note: please do not cross-post.
Cross-postings will be deleted and ignored.
Thanks for helping to keep this forum junk-free!
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
protech Posted - 11/09/2011 : 08:23:40 AM
Hi Guys,

There is some confusion over ďdoes HV (officially)support Exch 2003Ē.

Microsoft say any Virtualisation Platform that followed Virtual Server 2005 would support it, but the obviously donít explicitly mention Hyper-V.
Microsoft now donít seem to mention anywhere if they do/donít (officially) support it, probably because they class it as a retired product.

My experience is that it does without any issues.
This guy says itís fine: http://www.windowsitpro.com/article/virtualization/virtualizing-exchange-2007-and-exchange-2003-with-hyper-v

Anyone know the truth? :)

Cheers
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jazzy Posted - 11/09/2011 : 3:05:46 PM
quote:
Originally posted by protech

Cheers guys - Jazzy - define 'supported' - do you mean by MS? as my experience shows that it will work unless anyone knows otherwise?

Supported by Microsoft that is. See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc794548(EXCHG.80).aspx
quote:
Microsoft supports Exchange Server 2003 in production on hardware virtualization software (virtual machines) only when all the following conditions are true:

- The hardware virtualization software is Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2 or any later version of Microsoft Virtual Server.

- The version of Exchange Server that is running on the virtual machine is Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 with Service Pack 2 (SP2) or later.

- The Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2 Virtual Machine Additions are installed on the guest operating system.

- Exchange Server 2003 is configured as a stand-alone server and not as part of a Windows failover cluster.

- The SCSI driver that is installed on the guest operating system is the Microsoft Virtual Machine PCI SCSI Controller driver.

- The virtual hard disk Undo feature is not enabled for the Exchange virtual machine.

I presented serveral times on Exchange and virtualization best practices. I ask people to raise hands and ask three questions:
- Who runs Exchange 2003 servers?
- Who uses hardware virtualisation for these 2003 servers?
- Who has ever heard of a product called Virtual Server 2005 R2?

The answers are usaualy: 50%, 50% (same people), 0%.
Curt Posted - 11/09/2011 : 2:37:17 PM
Have you ever called Exchange support late at night?

Then you would know why it's not "Supported".

I can't tell you how many of these "Techs" told me to reinstall Exchange when the issue was not in their Knowledgebase.

wkasdo Posted - 11/09/2011 : 2:26:11 PM
It's a funny thing. Exchange 2003 works fine on all modern hypervisors -- why wouldn't it? -- and lots of people do it. But as Jetze says, it's not supported by Microsoft.
protech Posted - 11/09/2011 : 11:05:25 AM
Cheers guys - Jazzy - define 'supported' - do you mean by MS? as my experience shows that it will work unless anyone knows otherwise?
Jazzy Posted - 11/09/2011 : 10:06:28 AM
It's only supported on Virtual Server 2005 R2.
Curt Posted - 11/09/2011 : 09:44:22 AM
And I had Exchange 2003 virtualized as far back as VMWARE GSX.

In production for several clients. No issues of great consequence.
Curt Posted - 11/09/2011 : 09:42:27 AM
The truth is your environment is the definition.

Like in the expression "your milage may vary".

I heard that support for Exch2003 is over, so make sure you have your arms around it.

Mark Minasi's Reader Forum © 2002-2011 Mark Minasi Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000