Mark Minasi's Reader Forum
Mark Minasi's Reader Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | Minasi Forum RSS Feed
 All Forums
 HALP! Questions on Windows and Windows Server
 Windows Server 2003
 WINS issues

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Note: please do not cross-post.
Cross-postings will be deleted and ignored.
Thanks for helping to keep this forum junk-free!
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
DennisMCSE Posted - 02/10/2012 : 10:47:40 AM
It's been a long while since playing with WINS, so need a little help. Our WINS server is on a Windows Server 2003 computer. Our AD domain is being upgraded to Windows Server 2008 R2. We have an office subnet where all our AD user computers are located and a production floor subnet that our manufacturing computers are running (which are not in AD and each work area in in a separate Workgroup). In order to map drives to the production computers from the AD office computers, we had to turn on WINS for the last several years.

Up until the AD servers were being upgraded to Windows Server 2008 R2, we had no issues mapping drives to the production computers. But recently, we've had intermittent issues where we can't connect to the production computers.

Think that's just a coincidence since I looked through the WINS database and noticed some strange things. The _MSBROWSE_ record is showing an IP Address of 192.168.68.3 instead of a valid address in our 10.103.x.x range. The computer associated to that IP Address is a production floor computer running NT4.

So I assume I just need to force a Master Browser election, but can't reboot that particular computer without shutting production down. How do I force an election without rebooting that computer? Since it's NT4,I should be able to do a reg fix to the \Services\Browser\Parameters\IsDomainMaster and change it to "0" so that it doesn't try to be the Master Browser again.

In WINS, if I just delete those records associated to that computer, will that force an election?

5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
saugata bose Posted - 04/15/2012 : 05:14:18 AM
This is an useful writing.
I think that the following article will help you to set up ur WINS server.
You can click here to go to see the step by step installation procedure.

Thank you.
DennisMCSE Posted - 02/11/2012 : 11:05:49 PM
All the clients point to our WINS server, hosted on a Windows Server 2003 computer. DHCP also pushes the WINS server IP Address to the client computers. After playing around with some of the computers, I see the following:

1) When I do an IPCONFIG /ALL on the clients showing issues, I see the correct WINS server IP Address
2) Even though the WINS server IP Address shows up, there are some computers that don't show up on the WINS server when I display the records (even though I can also ping the server so I know the client can see it)
3) On the clients having issues, when I do an NBTSTAT -RR, it still doesn't register with the WINS server
4) On the clients having issues, seems they point to themselves as the Master Browser instead of the Domain Master Browser

The strange thing is that everything has been working fine on the network and with the clients until recently. So don't know what has changed.

Btil Entrails Posted - 02/10/2012 : 4:38:59 PM
Do you have a Windows Server with a WINS Sevice in place and running for the network and are you pointing all the local machines in the workgroup or ip subnet to use that servers IP address? Pointing all machines on the IP range to use the same Server with WINS running, a must. Make sure all the clients in the subnet have the WINS ip set to the new server.

Hope I did not muddy the waters here in trying to help
DennisMCSE Posted - 02/10/2012 : 11:58:54 AM
OK, it jumped back to the NT4 computer again even though I changed the registry for it not to become the Master Browser.

DennisMCSE Posted - 02/10/2012 : 11:33:52 AM
OK, changed the registry on the NT4 computer and now there is a new _MSBROWSE_ on the network. But it points to a Tombstoned 10h record that matches the wireless IP Address from an AD laptop. So it doesn't pick from only Active records on the network?

Mark Minasi's Reader Forum © 2002-2011 Mark Minasi Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000